July 8, 2008

Parental Permission to Travel

Planning a trip out of the U.S. with your minor child without his or her other parent? If so, in addition to a U.S. passport you may also need a notarized letter of consent from the non-traveling parent. Not only does the form need to be notarized it may also require further authentication with a California apostille.

I recently had a client who was moving back to the U.S. from Colombia. He left ahead of his wife and daughter so he sent his wife a notarized affidavit of parental consent so his wife could leave the country with his daughter. Once they arrived at the airport they were informed that in addition to the notarization the form also required an apostille.

Imagine his wife's dismay receiving this bombshell just as they were ready to leave the country. Thankfully, I was able to get the apostille and ship the document to Colombia that same day. In spite of my efforts, her return trip was delayed six days.

Contact the consulate of your destination country to find out if they require a parental permission to travel form but it's always best to over-document to prevent any last minute delays.

Contact me today for California Apostille information & pricing


Animations - blue button


  1. Your blog has been added to the Notary.net blog. Keep up the good work. http://blog.notary.net